If you've been waiting to make a career move or revitalize a job search, the stars are lining up in your favor. The Labor Department’s recent report reveals good news. Companies have shifted into high hiring gear, helping to lift wages and invigorate economic growth. Take advantage of this good news! Companies would like to bring on new hires before year-end and they realize good talent is in high demand. It's time for you to get out there! Here are 6 steps to help you kick your job search into high gear:
1. Update your networking list. Write down the names of former bosses, co-workers, and friends to network with in your job search.
2. Target jobs and companies. Think through your lists and update them; do research to have this in top-notch form.
3. Refresh your Resume. Add recent accomplishments, projects, and skills; make sure your resume reflects the skills you’ll use in the jobs you are targeting.
4. Draft a Cover Letter. Go ahead and have this ready so you can modify it for different jobs. Practice your Elevator Pitch so you are comfortable talking about yourself.
5. Network and apply for jobs: Be specific with your network about jobs and companies that interest you, and ask them to help you grow your contacts. Be strategic and apply for jobs at your target companies. Use LinkedIn to expand your network and targets.
6. Stay positive: Yes, the job search may not be as fast and productive as you hope. Yes, it can seem filled with roadblocks. And yes, you can stay motivated. Set reasonable networking goals, read positive career articles, and have a job search partner. Ask a friend, family member, or Career Coach to help you improve your job search odds through mock interviews, brainstorming, and re-strategizing.
It’s a great time to look for a job, re-connect and network; add to your own holiday good cheer by taking advantage of the current revitalized hiring mood.
Happy Job Hunting!
Don't Forget To Sign Up For Free Email Updates
Sign up below to make sure you receive the latest articles first.